Ransomware is a malicious software that blocks the owner of the PC to access his/her files. It threats the user to delete or publish the data. The user have to pay the amount to get access to its data, that amount is called RANSOM.
This type of software enters victims PC whenever he/she opens a E-Mail with an attachment containing Ransomware. There are again two types of ransomware software. One is the simplest and knowledgeable person can reverse it.
But the second one uses more advanced malware technique called Cryptoviral Extortion.
The software makes the user files inaccessible by encrypting there data. The victim is given a fixed ransom amount which has to be payed by him/her in order to make his files accessible again.
After paying the desired amount of ransom, you will receive a code from the hacker which will remove the encryption and your files will be back to you again. IT is not guarantee that you will receive the code after the payment.
Currency Of Ransom
Ransomware uses difficult to trace digital currencies like Bitcoin, Ukash. These currencies are very expensive, where 1 Bitcoin is equal to US$2642. You can make out how much cost you have to pay in order to get your files back from the hacker.
The concept Encrypting was invented by Young and Young at columbiaUniversity. REPRESENTED at Privacy Conference in 1996. It is named as cryptoviral extortion and is the following three-round protocol carried out between the attacker and the victim:-
- [attacker→victim] The attacker generates a key pair and places the corresponding public key in the malware.
- [victim→attacker] To carry out the cryptoviral extortion attack, the malware generates a random symmetric key and encrypts the victim’s data with it. It uses the public key in the malware to encrypt the symmetric key. This is known as hybrid encryption and it results in a small asymmetric ciphertext as well as the symmetric ciphertext of the victim’s data. It zeroizes the symmetric key and the original plaintext data to prevent recovery. It puts up a message to the user that includes the asymmetric ciphertext and how to pay the ransom. The victim sends the asymmetric ciphertext and e-money to the attacker.
- [attacker→victim] The attacker receives the payment, deciphers the asymmetric ciphertext with the attacker’s private key, and sends the symmetric key to the victim. The victim deciphers the encrypted data with the needed symmetric key thereby completing the cryptovirology attack.
How To Protect Your PC From Ransomware?
In order to protect your PC from Ransmware you have to follow following steps:-
1. Never view any E-Mail from unknown person or even if you view them, make sure to not to open the attachment.
2. Always update your PC to latest Build. Upgrading your PC to the latest Build will decrease the chances of Ransomware to attack your PC as they patch various settings on which Ransomware works.
If you will follow these steps, I am sure your PC will never get Ransomware on it.